Great Big Ideas & Takeaways:
- Making your own butter on the homestead!
- Starting your own kefir.
- How to use a small milking machine (demo)
- Milking a cow while a calf is still feeding.
- The magic of a 3-Bin Compost System—explained.
- How a trampoline & kids can make butter.
- Extending the shelf-life of your homemade butter.
- Enjoy a TOUR of their beautiful ranch.
- See first-hand how they’re managing their dairy cows.
About The Speakers:
Brook and Rose Levan co-founded the non-profit Sustainable Settings in 1997, after returning from a seven-month trip to China and experiencing culture shock upon re-entry in the United States—aiming to create a setting where people could live and learn to create a more sustainable future.
This eventually resulted in the purchase of Thompson Creek Ranch in Pitkin County, Colorado and the establishment of the Whole Systems Learning Center, where they work on direct and locally applicable solutions to climate change, food and energy security, and the regeneration of healthy topsoil.
Learners of all ages (from Kindergarten through University) are invited to experience their on-site, hands-on education programs.
QUESTION: Have you tried making your own butter? How about kefir? Do you or have you ever had dairy cows? Leave your thoughts below.