Great Big Ideas & Takeaways:
Don’t buy into conventional beekeeping systems that are costly and often fail. Instead be a revolutionary beekeeper who knows the best old and new ways to care for bees.
- Where to find strong naturally-raised bees.
- Differences between wild bees and “packaged” bees.
- How swarming protects queen fertility & improves hive health.
- Replacing queens is unnecessary 99% of time. Let the colony do it!
- How Nature sorts weak bees from strong bees.
- Why you shouldn’t feed bees sugar.
- Prepping so you’re ready to catch a swarm in spring.
- Protect your bees & educate your neighbors.
About The Speaker:
Jacqueline Freeman is a natural bee educator with revolutionary ideas about how to raise healthy bees with minimal interference. She is a “bee whisperer” who has spent a tremendous amount of time up close with bees, discerning what makes bees healthier and happier.
For the past 15 years, Jacqueline and her husband have owned a biodynamic farm in southwest Washington. Jacqueline and the bees are so comfortable together that she usually works with them without protective gear.
She is the author of “Song of Increase: Listening to the Wisdom of Honeybees for Kinder Beekeeping and a Better World” – a book so popular that it’s now being translated into other languages.
Susan is also the bee blogger for Mother Earth News.
QUESTION: What are you doing to support the local bee population in your area?