Great Big Ideas & Takeaways:
There is nothing on the homestead that is less forgiving than fencing. If you make a mistake when it comes to fencing, you will pay the price when your livestock escape. But how do you know what type of fencing you need if you’ve never owned livestock before?
Join Deborah as she tells you about some of the mistakes her family made when they first moved to the country to start homesteading. Discover…
- How to choose fencing that suits your species of livestock.
- The 2 types of fences you should ALWAYS avoid.
- Getting by with temporary fencing.
- Which gates to buy—and which to avoid!
- How to make your own dependable gate (for CHEAP)!
- Revamping existing fencing to make it work.
- Which animals are the most difficult to fence.
- The truth about “Grass Is Greener” syndrome.
- Physical barriers vs. pain barriers—what to know.
- Why you may need to DOUBLE fence.
- Fencing to keep rabbits out of your garden.
About The Speaker:
Deborah and her family left the Chicago suburbs in 2002 to move to a creek in the middle of nowhere to build their own home and start growing their own food organically.
Today they produce 100% of their meat, dairy, eggs, maple syrup, honey, and lots of their herbs, fruits, and vegetables. They raise goats, sheep, pigs, and a variety of poultry to meet their needs.
Deborah speaks about raising goats and sustainable living at conferences from California to North Carolina and in Canada. She has written three books: Homegrown and Handmade, EcoThrifty, and Raising Goats Naturally.
QUESTION: Do you have any problems keeping your livestock contained? Or predators out? Tell us about your biggest fencing issues below.