Great Big Ideas & Takeaways:
So you’ve been keeping chickens and want to take the next step by breeding them?
In this session you will learn the basics of setting up a breeder flock and how to determine which birds have the potential to be the most productive and why meeting breed standards is important. Over time you can make great improvements to your flock and ultimately do right by your chosen breed and improve profitability.
- See an example of taking a chicken breed & improving it.
- Tips for evaluating and assessing your breeding stock.
- The #1 most important habit you need to succeed at chicken breeding.
- How to determine the egg-laying capacity of a hen!
- Marking your birds for accurate record-keeping.
- Leg bands vs. wing bands—which is the better choice?
- How to breed a large flock with a SMALL amount of land.
- Where to locate heritage chicken breeds.
- How to structure communal breeding partnerships—so everyone wins!
About The Speaker:
Jeannette Beranger is the Senior Program Manager for The Livestock Conservancy and has 30+ years’ experience working as an animal professional, using her knowledge to plan and implement breed conservation programs across the country.
At home, she maintains a heritage breeds farm with a focus on rare breed chickens and she was recently named one of Country Women Magazine’s “45 Amazing Country Woman” for her work in conserving endangered breeds.