Great Big Ideas & Takeaways:
- How Stacey produces 50lbs of food per week—in only 500 sq. ft.
- Maintaining a 500 sq ft. garden in 2 hours per week.
- Fun science experiments to get the most out of your garden.
- The one tool that can double, triple, maybe even quadruple your yield.
- Know when pests are going to attack your crops so you can prevent them.
- Compare plant spacings with yields to maximize your yield per square foot.
- Calculate which crops are worth growing and which are cheaper at the market.
- Save more than 50% on seed costs.
- An exciting forest-floor compost bin design.
About The Speaker:
Stacey Murphy founded BK Farmyards, a cooperative of urban farmers in Brooklyn dedicated to social justice through urban agriculture, and she has helped create over an acre of new farmyards in Brooklyn. She has taught 1,000s of teens and adults how to grow, harvest and prepare fresh foods.
She’s been featured on Martha Stewart Radio, PBS online, and even appeared on the David Letterman show with a giant radish. And to get kids excited about vegetables, herbal medicine and gardening, Stacey writes and publishes children’s books at Planet Bambino. Her first book My Dinosaur Ate My Broccoli was an Amazon #1 Bestseller when it was first released.
Stacey envisions a world where everyone is nourished by the magic of fresh, affordable, and culturally exciting food… extra points if it’s homegrown. She is a recovering engineer and architect, turned proud garden geek.
QUESTION: What’s your favorite takeaway from Stacey’s presentation?