Great Big Ideas & Takeaways:
- Chicken whispering 101: get inside the head of your chickens.
- Learn to “think chicken” to develop trust & emotional bonds.
- How to correctly pick up a chicken—so they feel safe and comfortable.
- Training your chickens… as pets, therapy birds, and more.
- How to gently calm an agitated chicken.
- Recognizing hens that are ready to produce.
- Safely transporting chickens in a carrier: how to get them inside.
- 12 sources of flock stress—audit your chicken coop!
About The Speaker:
Patricia Foreman is a sustainable agricultural author, local foods activist, and popular speaker.
She, and her co-presenter, chicken celebrity Oprah Hen-Free, have presented workshops at major festivals and conferences across the US, including Mother Earth Fairs, Monticello’s Heritage Harvest Festivals, Nourishing Traditions, and many others.
For over 4 years, Pat was the co-host of the daily Chicken Whisperer Talk Show. She is often interviewed on radio and TV shows, including NPR and CBS.
She has kept poultry for over 25 years, and has experience ranging from backyard flocks to owning and operating a small-scale farm with free range, organic layers, broilers and turkeys. The commercial operation included keeping breeder flocks, incubating eggs, pasturing poultry and finished processing.
She is the author of City Chicks, co-author of Chicken Tractor, Day Range Poultry, Backyard Market Gardening and A Tiny Home to Call Your Own.
Pat is also the developer of the Chickens and You Training Series leading to the Master Backyard Chicken Keeper Certification.
QUESTION: Do you have any chicken whispering secrets of your own that you’d like to share?